Skip to main content

Beautiful Mess

Since Christmas, I have been taking reclaimed wood, cleaning it and giving it a new purpose. I've never thought of myself as being crafty or creative. I've always seen people turn nothing into something and I've been amazed by it. Then, my mom asked me what I wanted for Christmas last year. I genuinely couldn't think of anything, other than a tattoo. If you have people that are helping you survive life, my feeling is that you shouldn't be putting your money into anything like that. HOWEVER, if it's a gift, that's different! 😂 I still have a 5 hour gift certificate that I need to cash in though so there's really no need for that. I had to think about it. I'm a budget friendly person, so nothing came to mind. I knew what my mom's income was and I happen to have six of her ten grandchildren, so, I knew how far that had to stretch. Then, she asked me the magic question. "If money were no object, what would..." I blurted out, "A Dremel!" She said, A Dremel? Really??" 


I imagine that she was a tad bit shocked because she knew that I don't ever put myself out there to be crafty. I can find the best deals, coupons and tell you the best ways to save some money. I can throw a meal together that doesn't have a name to it but what on earth would I do with a Dremel?! Well, my desire was to make my daughter a graduation yard sign. I showed her what Jachelle wanted and then, I showed her a Google slide of what I pictured in my head. When I made the slide, I wasn't thinking of doing it myself. I made it to see how much I could cram onto one of those signs. I thought about my yard, placement and if it would really even be seen. My stepdad had given me some old pallet wood the year before and I thought I could do a sign out of it. Long story short, every time someone asked me after that what I wanted, I answered, "Either a Home Depot gift card or Harbor Freight gift card". I really wanted to be able to see if I could turn trash into treasure but it was more important to me that my children had what they needed first, some things that they wanted second, things I needed third and my wants last. 


Christmas gets here and I have a Dremel, a $200 gift card for Home Depot and a $150 gift card for Harbor Freight. I immediately went to looking for deals and the predictions of upcoming sales. I waited a couple weeks for the best time and I bought myself a table saw with one gift card and a miter saw with the other. Next thing I know, my YouTube feed is full of woodworking videos. I spent January to May making Jachelle's graduation sign, which hangs on a 8' x 8' frame.


During the process of making her sign, I had scraps of wood that I wasn't using yet but had ideas for. On rainy days, when I couldn't cut, I pieced things together or the kids and I painted on scraps. Some visions, I would have to explain to them and they would bring it to life. The cutting and building of the pieces has been done by me but 99% of the artwork has been done by them. When I tell people that it's reclaimed wood, they're surprised. I see the same look on their face that I KNOW that I have given to my sister when she refurbishes a piece of furniture that she got in someone's trash.


It makes me think about how we allow the things that have happened to us in life, to make us feel like we belong on the curb with the trash. We allow the things that we've done, the things that people say to us, even the things that we say to ourselves, to make us feel like we belong in the trash pile. Sometimes, we help others feel like trash so that we aren't going in the dumpster alone. Or, we even make others feel like they are more trash than we are because they were in a different dumpster longer than we were. I've certainly been guilty of that!


When I finally allowed the Lord to make me knew, it's been my desire to help others to know that they can be made new, as well. I always loved the term, "beautiful mess" because that's exactly what we are. We are an absolute MESS but God makes us BEAUTIFUL. He, quite literally, turns trash into treasure.

While studying the scriptures and looking up verses, I ran across the page below and was intrigued by the title of her blog, "7 Powerful Bible Verses About a New Beginning". Especially, because it was after I wrote mine above. I didn't feel right about referencing those verses without referencing the page.


Some of our creations... Some are finished and some aren't. Some were gifts and some, we're using for an upcoming fundraiser. We hope you like what you see, but more importantly, we hope that you know that the Lord loves you, even if you're sitting on the curb.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UR Family

  From the manger to the cross... From the cross to the grave...  From the grave to the sky... He is risen indeed! May God's fire burn in your hearts forever. May His wings cover and protect you, and your families. May His son, the greatest man in history, who had no servants,  yet was called master, had no degree, yet was called teacher, had no medicines, yet was called healer, He had no army, but kings feared him, He won no military battles, yet conquered the world, He committed no crimes, yet they beat and hung him on a tree,  He was buried in a tomb, rose in three days and lives today through people like you. Thank you for seeing our worth and not defining us by our past and for having the faith that we can all be changed for the Glory of God. Love in Christ, Bill & Michelle Ellis Happy Easter!  Jachelle, Skye, Madison, Bubba, Corey & Makayla

Our home

My six children and I have been living in a transitional home for homeless women since June 2020. We have been blessed to have found a property that can be turned into a home for us but it can't be renovated until it's paid off. Since Christmas 2021, the balance has gone from $65,000 to $45,000. We've been at a stand still ever since. One Voice Shelter Coalition, an Opelika nonprofit organization, is looking for assistance in finishing this project for our family. We are looking for ways to accept donations, other than crowdfunding places, but right now our only option is Facebook or snail mail. Here is where you can find the link. The Ellis family is grateful for anything that is donated and extremely grateful for your prayers! PS - The address to donate, via USPS, is found at the link below. God bless! Michelle Ellis OVSC donate button https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0nZNaT5ihPu8Gt9QroRipqvMPAwhzkq9DBQEUPipbjCgkUb7RjC36Sqz9oW8uNxW2l&id=100005005063571

"Last Bus Ride"

The "Last Bus Ride". That's what got me, Jachelle! I have never heard of such a thing! Thinking about you driving YOURSELF to the high school, in the the car that you helped your daddy build, just to take the last bus ride with the rest of the seniors has got me in my feelings! I remember the first time you got on a bus. You were so excited and I was NOT looking forward to letting you go into the world. When you brought me your book bag on the first day of school, I seen the excitement in your eyes. You've always been an excellent student and an even better daughter! I wanted to do something really special for your graduation. I knew Daddy was giving you the title for the Camaro but I wanted to do something for you on my own, without any help. SOOO, I went big! I ran into so many obstacles. Crooked wood, overheated tools, rain with nowhere dry to work on my "surprise" that ended up NOT being a surprise and having to take my wood working stuff outside every s